Tuesday, November 1, 2016

2D Class Week 10 Concept Discovery With 3D

For this week's 2D assignment, I took on the challenge of making the Yellow Brick Road. I did a lot of research on how to make tileable textures in Zbrush. I first created a standard brick that I wanted to use, sculpting each of the 6 sides to look slightly different. I then duplicated and rotated it in different directions to vary how the upward facing bricks looked and reduce repetition. I made the top and bottom sides of the brick arrangement tile, and I did not make the left and right sides tileable. My logic behind this was that the left and right sides wouldn't need to tile as they'd be the outward facing sides of the pathway, and the top and bottom sides would be sitting flush against the next/previous Yellow Brick Road mesh. After sculpting, I went into Maya and created a low poly version on which to bake my maps. I played around with trying to match some of the low poly geometry with the geometry of the bricks but in the end found that leaving the upward facing plane of the low poly gave the best results. I did my baking in Substance Painter and then textured it.

In the end, I'm happy with how it came out for a first attempt, but I already know modifications need to be made and will likely end up recreating the texture to tile in all directions. It was a great learning experience and I know I can make a similar tile set much more quickly next time. This assignment took me around 12 hours to learn and complete.










No comments:

Post a Comment