Monday, March 20, 2017

3D Class S2 Class 09 Environment Project - Week 1

This week we started making small environments which we'll be viewing in VR. My environment started from an old idea I had called Collect Killer, making a pun off of the phrase collect call. It was originally just a pay phone with a bullet hole through one side of glass with blood misted over the rest of the booth with the phone hanging by the cord. It has now evolved to be the shady side of an old gas station that houses the crime scene. This week we were to block out our scene and add low level modeling detail. It took me around 10 hours.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Game Lab VR gloves

This week was spring break, but my main project was creating new hands for our gamelab game, Artaeology. The previous hands were from the predecessor to Artaeology, VRchaeology, and were proxies that never got revisited and flew under the radar for far too long. I took the rig from those, which is the rig that EPIC made for the source content VR hands. That was all the original animations can be kept and used. These hands took about 17 hours for me to rework the source content hands to a sculptable base in Zbrush, sculpt form and detail, re-topo, re-rig, texture, and implement in engine.
 Iray Renders

 Unreal Engine 4

Monday, March 6, 2017

3D Class S2 Class 08 Organic Bust Project (Textures, Materials and UE4 Display)

As the final week of our bust project approached, so did GDC. This week, most of the cohort spent Tuesday through Sunday traveling to and from San Francisco for GDC. While it was a great experience and I wouldn't trade it for much, it did strain the time to work on this last leg of the assignment. This assignment took about 8.5 hours to tweak the bake, texture, and bring into Unreal Engine 4. For having never painted a character, let alone a grotesque, sickly looking zombie cyborg, I'm really pleased with how this texture job and the project as a whole ended up working out. The project as a whole took around 32 hours.

Here is my final digital rendition of AMP by sculptor Jordu Schell.

Monday, February 27, 2017

3D Class S2 Class 07 Organic Bust Project (Game Res Mesh Texture Bake)

The end of this week starts GDC, but before leaving for San Francisco, we are to turn in our retopologized creature busts with the UV's finished and the maps baked. So here I am, with my retopo and substance screenshots. This step of the project took me about 10.5 hours. We were instructed to stay within or under the range of 15-20k tris. My final count was 12,494 tris.

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Sculpt Off 2 - Creatures

Today when we got to 3D class, we were told we'd be having another sculpt off. This time we were given 1 hour to sculpt a creature bust, starting from Nick's generic human bust. I'm no aspiring character artist, but my goal was to give the character artists a run for their money, should the sculpt of be judged on like last time. The last sculpt off went really well for me, but I had a week to prepare and practice what I was going to do, as well as the fact that we had 1.5 hours. Today I wasted no time in picking a reference from which to sculpt from. We were told that we could create from a concept or already existing design, so I decided to make Jar Jar Binks from the Star Wars prequels. I initially wanted to do something else, but after randomly scrolling by an image of Jar Jar, I couldn't get the idea out of my head and decided to go for it.

After 1 hour, here are my results...

Monday, February 20, 2017

3D Class S2 Class 06 Organic Bust Project (Adding Hard Surface Element)

This week we added hard surface elements to our busts from last week. My zombie creature has several prominent hard surface parts built into his body, so I didn't have to come up with any additional parts to fit the requirements aside from building in an interesting base for the bust to be mounted on. I made the back exhaust pipes in Fusion 360 and the nose, ears, and jaw in Zbrush. I wanted to use both programs to gain experience with both pipelines.

This assignment took around 12 hours.

Monday, February 13, 2017

3D Class S2 Class 05 Organic Bust Project (High Resolution Modeling Stage)

This week we started a new assignment: taking a bust sculpt from a famous sculptor and recreate it digitally taking it through Zbrush, Maya, Substance, and finally to Unreal Engine. The piece I picked was something I saw nearly a year ago online and had always wanted to sculpt, similarly to my desire to create the DL-44 from last project. When I saw it in the selection of pre-approved options, I knew that's the sculpt I was going to make. It proved moderately challenging, as I've never done a character of this complexity. This week we were responsible for creating the high poly organic sculpt. It took me around 13 hours.

Original sculpt by Jordu Schell.